Friday, March 11, 2011

SF #2 Washington vs Oregon

What a game last night! I thought I had seen it all in college basketball over seven years of watching the sport but I guess I haven't. Before the game last night if you would of told me that Klay Thompson would score a Pac 10 tournament record 43 points but the Huskies would prevail, I wouldn't have believed you. If you would of told me that Terence Ross would start last night, I wouldn't of believed you. Lastly, if you told me that Washington State would of got called for a Chris Webber type Technical foul, I certainly wouldn't have believed you.

Yes, I think there was a little bit of everything last night. The Huskies finally got a win by five points or less after starting 0-6. If last nights game was sign of things to come, then the Huskies might have a chance to accomplish their goals that they set at the start of the year. Some people predicted this team to go to the Elite 8 or even the Final 4 but at the more realistic goal was the Sweet 16 which is still within reach.

Time to get to tonight's game. Were just under one hour before the Huskies take on the Oregon Ducks. The Ducks were the surprise of the tournament last night. Their 76-59 upset win over the UCLA Bruins landed them their first trip to the Semi Finals of the Pac 10 tournament since 2007.

The Huskies and Ducks split the season series this year with each team winning on their home court. For Huskies fans that could be good news. Lorenzo Romar has never lost a season series to Oregon. That streak will likely continue tonight as it is very hard for teams to play three games in three nights. In fact, teams that play on the opening Wednesday of the tournament are 0-2 in the Semi Finals. Ironically, Oregon was one of those teams in 2006.

If Oregon is going to advance to the final  tomorrow they will need a Klay Thompson type effort from  E.J. Singler. In Oregon's two games this tournament Singler is averaging 23 points per game. For Washington, to avoid the upset they have to make sure that they don't have a let down. The Huskies got production from just about everybody and that will have to be the case tonight as Isaiah Thomas will likely play 35 to 40 minuets again tonight. Thomas played the whole game last night. He scored 21 points while dishing out 11 assists in the Huskies 89-87 win.

At the end of the day I think the Huskies win tonight's game and get to the Pac 10 Finals for the second consecutive year. The Huskies have way more experience then the Ducks and I think that will be the difference.  For Washington this Pac 10 tournament has a lot of similarities as last years tournament did and Washington should use that to their advantage. If your an Oregon fan your hoping lightning strikes twice as in 2006 Oregon shocked Washington by beating them 84-73. I think lightning won't strike twice as the Huskies will control the game and win 84-67.

The tip time is set for again approximately 8:40pm. It will start exactly 30 minuets after the Arizona and USC game is over. Right now Arizona is winning 50-38.

I would like to wish Japan and anyone who is affected by last night's Tsunami a healthy and safe recovery from what happened. I can personally relate to this as last year at this time I was on a cruise in Mexico and for sure would of felt the Tsunami. I hope everyone is alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment