Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Canucks Win Epic Overtime Game to Knock Out Defending Champs

For 16 days during the 2010 Olympics the theme in Vancouver was "Believe," maybe the Canucks fans just needed to believe for one of the most anticipated Game 7's in Canuck history.

The stage was set. The best team in the NHL last year was going to play the best team in the NHL this year for a do or die Game 7. As a hockey fan, Game 7 is the two best words in hockey. That is the case unless your team is in it.

I have lots of memories as a Canucks fan. Game 7 in 2003 against St. Louis, Game 7 in 2007 against Dallas and loads of regular season success year after year. I had seen a lot of games but I had never witnessed a more intense game then the one that was played last night. In fact, even an average hockey fan would admit that the game last night was intense.

Going into the game last night, I was feeling pretty confident. Despite, the Blackhawks being the defending Stanley Cup Champions, the didn't play in a Game 7 during their cup run last year. In fact, there were only four players on the Blackhawks roster that had ever played in a Game 7. In contrast, the Canucks had 12 players who had played in Game 7's.

When the game started my focus was on Reberto Luongo. For the Canucks to win, I thought he just had to be average. When the Canucks scored 2:43 seconds into the game my confidence level grew. I thought it was a type of goal that could kick start a game and swing momentum.  Alex Burrows second goal of the post season was the only goal that period. If the Canucks could hang on for 40 more minutes they would get their monkey off their back.

In the second period, the Canucks started to get a lot of good scoring chances thrown at rookie goaltender Corey Crawford. The Canucks out shot the Blackhawks 15-6 but still, the score remained 1-0. Going into the 3rd period I started to get nervous. I knew that Chicago was too good of a team to keep scoreless for the whole game and Luongo was bound to give up a goal on a luckly bounce.

In a series that had all the twists and turns, the third period had another twist. Early in the third period Alex Burrows was taken down on a breakaway. The referee signaled for a penalty shot. Alex Burrows moved in on goalie Cory Crawford but could not score. The game was still 1-0 Vancouver. The rest of the third period both teams traded chances but on one was able to find the back of the net.

With just over three minutes to go, Vancouver was rewarded a power play. If the Canucks could score on it they could pretty much seal the deal. At the very least they could kill 2 minutes off the clock. However, the Canucks were sloppy in the neutral zone and turned the puck over which led to a goal by Johnathan Towes that sent the game into overtime.

In the overtime intermission, I thought it was going to be a bad bounce that would end the Canucks season. I decided to watch the overtime period in the kitchen. I thought that was a good idea because that is where I watched Game 7 between the Canucks and Stars in 2007 and the Canucks won.

During overtime, Alex Burrows was called for a penalty. As bad as the officiating was in this series, I thought it was a good call. The Canucks dug deep and killed the penalty which gave them momentum. I was now feeling confident again. When Alex Burrows stole the pack and walked in to blast the knuckle puck past Corey Crawford I started to run around the house like a chicken with its head cut off.

Alex Burrows game winning goal sent Rogers Arena into bedlam. It depends how far the Canucks go but if the Canucks can make a cup run this year, it might be the biggest goal in Canucks history. A goal that for sure saved the Canucks from embarrassment.

Now that the Canucks were finally able to beat the Blackhawks, no one will care what happened in games four, five and six. April 26, 2011 will always be a great day in Canucks history. It was one of the most intense games in Canucks history. For me, I will remember this day the rest of my life. Some people call it luck, but I call it justice for all those times us Canucks fans have been heartbroken.

No comments:

Post a Comment