Wednesday, June 24, 2015

June 23rd FIFA Women's World Cup Experience

Last night the Round of 16 at the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup concluded with the defending Champions Japan taking on the Netherlands.

Going into the Tournament, I wasn't sure if I wanted to attend a game or not. I wanted to, but I didn't want to go just for the sake of going and spend money only to see a lopsided 6-0 game. In a perfect world, I wanted to see a game that involved Canada. Unfortunately, the games that Canada had or have a chance to play in were all on weekends when I am busy doing other things.

When I went down to the Fan Zone last night I wasn't planning on going to the game. I wanted to see what the Fan Zone was all about. I thought it was a good experience with a lot of things to do for all ages.

As I was still undecided to go to the game or not, I finally decided to go. I kinda wanted to see what the event was like compared to the 2010 Winter Olympics events were like in Vancouver. Furthermore, I knew it was going to be a good atmosphere as their are Canadians living in Vancouver that have roots from both Japan and Holland.

After buying a ticket, I got to my seat with ten minutes to spare. I was sitting in the upper bowl of B.C. Place which was really cool because most events at BC Place the upper deck isn't open.

The game was highly competitive as Japan was just a tad better than the underdog dutch team making  their first appearance at the FIFA Women's World Cup. The game ended 2-1 but the scoreline isn't the important thing. I think it is outstanding that the gap between the defending Champions and a team making its first ever WWC appearance is this small right now.

Compare it to other Women's sports right now such as Women's Hockey. Women's hockey has been an Olympic sport since 1998 and in the 17 years, their are still only two teams that can realistically win Olympic Gold. (Canada and USA).

As it stands right now, the Women's World Cup is down to eight teams. Personally, I think they're six teams that realistically have a chance at winning the Women's World Cup. The only two exceptions would be China and Austraillia, as both of them are playing with a bit of house money as they have already surpassed expectations.

I had a really good time at the game last night, defenitly more Japan fans than Dutch fans with the attendance just over 28,000. For those Canadians that are unsure if they want to go to the Quarterfinal game against England, I suggest you go. It will be an amazing atmosphere Saturday at B.C. Place with everyone wearing red.

No comments:

Post a Comment