Friday, February 3, 2017

I'm Gonna Miss Brent Busburger

A great part of our adulthood or even childhood will ended on Tuesday night when legendary National TV broadcaster will called it quits after he called the Kentucky - Georgia NCAA basketball game on ESPN the other night. 
He will be greatly missed as he dives into bigger and better things. I'm 23 and I can remember Brent Musburger from my childhood. He had a unique way of calling the game. 
My favorite part of his style was his great call of "You are looking live!" during his various sporting events that he broadcated. Most recently he used that phrase when he called ABC's Saturday night College Football games in the late 2000's. 
He is easily my favorite National TV broadcaster and I wish he wasn't retiring. I'm too young to remember him doing other sports like Tennis and Baseball but I do know he was behind the mic for Game 5 of the ALDS between the Yankees and Mariners in 1995. Possibly the greatest baseball  game ever. 
Musburger voice was made for broadcasting. There was something about the way he spoke that made you listen more then you would. 
He has basically done every main sport you can think of. Did it well and I don't think we will have someone like him ever again. 
I'm not so sure what's so special about a handicapping business but that is what he will be doing next. Is this the way it has to end? The alternative is the broadcaster never retires and we wake up even sadder when we hear the news. 
The thing that hurts the most is that Musburger becomes the third legendary broadcaster in a matter of six months joining Vin Scully and Dick Enberg in retirement. 
I don't know who the next great broadcaster to retire in America will be. Bob Cole with Hockey Night in Canada is getting up there however in America, it might be Bill Walton or Dick Vital of ESPN College Basketball. 
I have a strong opinion on Broadcasters, I either love them or their nothing special. I'm glad to have listened to Musburger over the years because his style will never be able to be duplicated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment