Saturday, May 8, 2021

My Story of how I became a Oregon Duck

 I have to confess something, I have been really struggling to write during the last 14 months. I grew up a Seahawks, Mariners, Canucks and Grizzlies fan and in 2014 was a turning point for me. 

The Memphis Grizzlies were in the Western Conference Quarterfinals against the Oklahoma City Thunder. I was yelling at the TV during Game five with the Series deadlocked at 2 at times when it looked like the Grizzlies were going to lose. 

The Grizzlies ended up winning the game in Overtime but eventually fell to the Thunder in 7 games that year. That playoff series was rough, I am a passionate person that wants to be successful but in my early 20's I felt like my parents were spoon feeding me success and the only way to be myself was to pick four favorite teams that were my own. 

I know how to be successful in situations that work well for me. I don't need people making my life easier and then setting boundries of what my parents are comfortable with just because I have Cerebal palsy! I should have moved to any city I wanted to and been able to make my own mistakes. 

I mean, I was never mentally happy in the situation I was in from 2016-2019 even though I had 40k at 23. However, I was treated like a 17 year old and only got the money when my parents deemed it appropriate!!! 

That made me cheer against my childhood teams because I wanted my own path in life. Everyday I am getting closer and closer for feeling comfortable with who I am and that's why I changed my favorite teams. I was even bullied on Seattle sports pages and the bullies messaged my Dad and my Dad took their side. The bullies told my Dad I forwarded them a inappropriate link that I never did. This was around April 2011 and it really made me have trust issues with my Dad. Which was really painful. 

The Huskies fans also said "the world would be a better place if I killed myself". This was around December 2011. At this point, all I wanted to do was move out of Abbotsford and start fresh. 

I was so mentally down in from 2013-2018 that I felt defeated. I am trying to do my best but I was trying to make choices that made me happy. That's why I cheer for the teams I do and I'm a proud Oregon Ducks fan which makes me feel really good about myself. 

They told me I was always included and that makes me feel good. The Pro teams I like are Minnesota Vikings, New York Mets and Phoenix Suns.

No comments:

Post a Comment