Friday, June 28, 2019

The Science of A team picking You and not You picking a Team

One thing about being a sports fan is that you don't generally get to pick your favorite teams. There was never a time I signed the dotted line that made me a Vancouver Canucks fan that was basiclly saying that I was signing up for 25 years of heartbreak.

I started to become a fan of Vancouver naturally. I remember listening to games on the radio in bed, watching the 2001 playoff series against Colorado and wishing helplessly that we had a player like Joe Sakic.

I became a Mets fan in 2000 when in Cooperstown, I was instructed to pick any baseball jersey in the store. I was literally picking by design but for the most part of my life it stuck with me.

I was heartbroken when the Vancouver Grizzlies left and because I have parents who own property in Phoenix, I became a Suns fan. The last five years have sucked.

I am a Seattle Seahawks fan, I didn't plan that either. I went on a Facebook friend request rampage in 2010 and I because all of a sudden had a bunch of Seahawks fans on my fb page. That was awesome
and winning my first Championship in 2014 was amazing.

I cheer for Oregon in  College sports because my friend from high school played for their football team.

My point is, most of these things happpened naturally and there have been teams I have tried to get on board with but it wares out after a few weeks.

There are teams that I hope win again or one day:
Edmonton Oilers
Tampa Bay Bucceneers
Sacramento Kings
San Diego Padres
Minnesota Gophers  

All these teams in my lifetime have had failed year in and year out. In fact, these are probably the worst combination in my lifetime and I was born in  1993. The reason that these teams are the worst combination is because all four of these teams had decent runs of success from 1999 to 2006 but that ended 13 years ago.

There was a time that I thought I had the worst combination in sports but my four teams at least have came through in the last 13 years.

Just remember this when some heartbreaker happens in sports. It could always be worse. The fact that it is easy to forget is hard. I'm lucky but the fact that it took me this long to realize it has been hard but I'm super glad that I'm through this super hard stretch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment