Wednesday, July 3, 2019

I'm Still With the Canadian Men''s Team

It has been three shocking days since the Canadian Men's National team had a meltdown at the worst possible time at the 2019 Gold Cup. 

I stand on my original thoughts that even I can't take biennial tournament that is hosted in the same country seriously. 


My #1 goal for this National Team is to qualify for a World Cup. When qualifying comes around for 2022 we will have our best chance in quite some time. We still don't know the format and until we do I will not be making any hypotheticals of what our path looks like. 

We have in my opinion the seventh best team in CONCACAF. However, to be brutally honest with you, 4th through 10th are extremely competitive and it has been that was for as long as I can remember. I'm only 25. 

For this reason, I think it is very important that we know what the format is. I've tried creating many different formats and to be honest, all of them have flaws. 

The biggest thing that bothers me is that this tournament never changes. How about the Gold Cup is every four years, alternating hosts between Canada, USA, Mexico and the best of the rest. This would mean that it would only be in the USA every 16 years. 

There are 41 teams eligible for the Gold Cup so qualification could be 10 groups of 4 with the winner of the group qualifying and the runner ups going into a playoff playing another runner up. 

15 teams would qualify plus host is 16. Why this hasn't been thought of is beyond me. 

CONCACAF has got this wrong but knowing that we will be in the Gold Cup in two years playing in half empty football stadiums makes the Haiti surprisingly easier.   

No comments:

Post a Comment