Tuesday, February 9, 2021

TSN 1040 Cancelled In Unprofessional Way

 The fact that TSN 1040 has now disappeared is a tough pill to swallow to say the least. When I think of TSN 1040 I automatically think of the Canucks memorable 2011 Stanley Cup Finals run that spring. Despite the bitter ending, the memories of staying up late to listen to the postgame show that regularly went to 1 or 2 in the morning. 

The writing was on the wall unfortunately, like newspapers I believe sports radio is a dying industry. It hit its peak between 2007-2012 and I guess Bell had to make some cuts. Radio is a very fun industry but it is hard to find a radio these days. We have adapted to getting our favourite radio station on apps which means we are not limited to our local radio shows and instead we can listen to our favourite station around the world. 

As someone who used to dream about being a radio show host, this hits home quite a bit. Hoping that Jeff Paterson finds a job somewhere. Hopefully with the Canucks where he belongs. 

The other thing that hurts is that in this day in age almost everyone can start a radio show and post it to Youtube. I will one day but right now I struggle to write on this blog consistently. 


What also crosses my mind about Bell choosing TSN 1040 to cut expenses is how pro Toronto Bell and Rogers is for that matter. Rogers Sportsnet Pacific used to have their own sportscentre and now it is a National feed with Toronto sports at the priority. 

Right now, it feels like the Titanic is sinking. The main disappointment in Vancouver is not the Canucks and on the bright side, I feel blessed to have this blog to make me feel like I'm part of the Vancouver sports world. 

Things will feel brighter eventually but right now I feel sick for my idols who worked at TSN 1040. Bell Media handled this so unprofessionally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment