Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Flashback to my First Ever Husky Game

When I cross the boarder and travel down the I-5 to Seattle tomorrow with my dad. I will be going to my second Husky basketball game ever.

My first Huskies basketball game I ever went to happened on January 31th 2004. The Huskies were hosting the Arizona State Sun Devils. I was only 10 years old back then, I knew that UCLA and Arizona had really good tradition at their schools but it didn't bother me that Washington wasn't playing a big name school.

I was really excited because it was not only going to be my first college game but I  hadn't been to a NBA game since the Vancouver Grizzlies left town at the end of the 2001 season. The Huskies were having a mediocre season entering their contest against ASU but the Huskies were coming off an upset win over Arizona the other night.

When I left my house that day I didn't really know what to expect. I knew that Washington was a football school and that Washington wasn't a great basketball team. However, I also knew that Americans took this NCAA stuff more serious then Canadians think of the CIS so I was optimistic that I would have a good time.

When we got to Seattle we went into a JC Penney. I wasn't too thrilled about this store, it didn't seem like a sports store to me but my dad said that it was. For once he was right! They had great deals on Seattle Sports clothes. I bought an Ichiro jersey and a huskies sweat shirt.

When we got to Hec Ed, there was people handing out  Harry the Husky bobble heads that I thought was pretty cool. My first Impression on the arena was it was way too big. In contrast, I thought that 10,000 seats was pretty small for how big the arena is. Nevertheless, it was nice being there instead of being glued to your radio.

During pre-game warm up I asked my dad some stupid questions. It didn't seem that stupid at the time but when I look back they were really dumb. I asked my dad if we were ranked after beating Arizona?When I look back that was a stupid question because polls only come out on Mondays. The second stupid question I asked was is this where the UW hockey team plays? That's a stupid question for a lot of reasons that I'm not going to get into.

When the game started I found the game really exhausting. We had to keep standing until Arizona State scored their first basket. That took awhile because Washington raced out to a 14-0 lead. Washington would continue to score at a fast pace on their way to a 90-81 win. Will Conroy and Brandon Roy both had good games for the Huskies that night and I thought college basketball was pretty exciting.

For the game tomorrow, I am pretty excited. Even thou Washington does not match well against USC,  Washington should be able to find away to win tomorrow. The Huskies in their last game faced a really resilient UCLA team that was playing with a lot of confidence. In some ways a 70-63 win is more impressive then a 90-60 win. Firstly, the Huskies beat UCLA playing in the half court. That is something the Huskies will have to do as we get further into March. Also, Washington got a win in a game that star Point Guard Isaiah Thomas had a bad game. When Abdul Gaddy went down with an injury in January, Isaiah Thomas was playing lights out and it looked like Washington was going to cruise through their Pac 10 schedule. However, Isaiah Thomas has struggled lately and  had another bad game on Thursday so it was nice to see other players contribute like C.J. Wilcox. His 24 points sparked the Huskies in their  second half comeback.

Personally, I think the Huskies get the win tonight and sweep USC for the second time in three years. Furthermore, it's hard to imagine Isaiah Thomas having another horrible night. I think Thomas has a bounce back game and helps his seniors finish their careers at home with a win. USC will stay with the Huskies for most of the first half but the Huskies will pull away in the second half for a 72-61 win.

The game Tip time is set for 7:30pm and will be on FSN.

No comments:

Post a Comment