Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Would you trade Pettersson and Hughes for the Twins?

The Canucks are in a special position in their franchise as for the first time in their history they have two generational superstars.

That speaks volumes considering that in the early 90's Pavel Bure and Trevor Linden were on the same team and the Canucks had 18 good years of the Sedin twins.

In fact, the Sedin twins left such a legacy that it seems that this new core have a huge shoes to fill in the next few years.

Assuming that the 2020 season won't resume again, I feel that the upcoming year will be a make or break year for Pettersson and Hughes. Next year will shape what the next five years will look like. I say this because it will be very painful to pay both Pettersson and Hughes 10 Million each if they have no playoff games under their belt.

Pettersson and Hughes are special but it is going to be expensive to keep this core in tact which begs the question if it was possible, would you trade Pettersson and Hughes for the Sedin twins at 26 years old.

When the Sedins were 26, the Canucks were entering their the 2007 season in an entirely new era of Canucks hockey. The Sedins didn't disapoint that year with Daniel putting up 36 goals and 48 assists.

The Sedins gave the Canucks real Stanley Cup hopes for the next eight years. As good as the Sedins were they were not generational players like Pettersson and Hughes but what makes the debate a good one was that their contracts were so cap friendly which gave the Canucks a chance so add other players that created a generational team from 2010-2012.

The second argument of why you would trade Pettersson and Hughes for the Sedins is how they were so consistent. The two never missed games and were great leaders.

For me, there is no right answer but to see what Pettersson and Hughes will do in Canucks jerseys is so exciting.

When I got asked this question, I really had to think about. I finally said yes, because I know what I would get from them and putting them into a lineup with Boesser and Horvat would be a great combination. I also said yes because I am dying for Canucks playoff hockey and I am nervous that we don't get in next year because four years of not making the playoffs has me nervous.

My gut tells me that most Canucks fans would not make this trade but I don't blame you for not being tempted like I was.

2 comments:

  1. I would not trade them if the season wasn't cancelled. I believe the Canucks would have been in the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They had a tough 13 games left. 2 AZ, 2 VGK, Tampa, Winnipeg, Calgary and Colorado. Would have been really hard.

    ReplyDelete