Friday, July 24, 2020

Why Kraken???

I've been around sports for awhile now and I have never seen  a lot over my years but what happened yesterday with Seattle's NHL team is something I have a very hard time excepting. 

Kraken??? Where does this come from and how does this team win? From my understanding it is mythical Sea Creature. For me, the Detroit Red Wings already claimed the Mythical Sea Creature as they throw an Octopus on the ice before every game. 

For the colors, I painfully admit I like them but they do look like Rimouski Océanic's jersey's of the QMJHL that plays in the CHL. 

I guess I'm being a bit too picky. Naming sports teams can become original. It's too easy to name a team after an animal. In the mid 1990's the trend seemed to be naming teams after certain types of animals. Therefore, bears and dinosaurs turned into Grizzlies and Raptors of Vancouver and Toronto. Then, there was Thrashers and Bobcats and Pelicans for the last few animals. I like it when a name represents a city too make it their own. 


Karken does not belong to Seattle. According to Wikipedia, the Kraken lives off the coast of Norway and Seattle isn't in Norway. 

To be fair, naming a team is getting increasingly more difficult, Even some MLS teams are having to get creative. There are now 159 sports teams in North America if you include the MLS and CFL so a lot of the good ones are already taken. Most of the time it is not a good idea to name a team after someone else in the same league as you. Yes, I'm looking at you Ottawa. You can only have one Rough Riders in a nine team league. 

Then there are the 351 Div 1 NCAA basketball teams where multiple duplicates happen. So yes, good on them for having a very unique name but it will never be what I would have chosen.

I'm curious to see how everything transpires. I'm bitter because I want NBA or MLB expansion to come to Vancouver but there is likely only four more expansion teams in our lifetime in the Big 4. Two will go to NBA and two will go to MLB. 

I will not be a Krackhead. Not with my brother living so close to Seattle I will refuse to cheer for anything Seattle related. The two cities are rivals now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment