Friday, September 18, 2020

Where Does Vancouver Sit in the Sports City Standings?

 I've had a couple of week to ponder about the Vancouver Canucks emotional exit from the unusual 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs. I thought it was going to be an easy pill to swallow from a very positive season but it has been very challenging. 

I'm definitely still in pain right now. Part of it is Covid, but part of it is a huge whole in my chest that doesn't go away until the Vancouver Canucks play again. 

It wouldn't be like this if Vancouver had a NFL team or MLB team. Their seasons would be just beginning and still be going on respectively. 


Thinking of what it would be like to have all four major league teams is interesting but in reality it will likely never happen. 

I have tried to put together a mathematical equation that compares sport success with their respective city. This is how the math works:

Expansion Franchise Awarded: 20 points 

Division Championship: 15 points 

Playoff series win: 25 points  

playoff appearance : 10 points 

Conference Championship: 50 points  

League Championship: 100 points 

Team relocates: -40 points 

Picking first overall: 5 points   

I want to do the math for every team and city but it might take me awhile. My hypothesis is that Vancouver Canucks are in the middle of the pack in if you compare the teams by themselves and Vancouver if I compare it to other cities would be average as well. 

To get comparable numbers, if you have four pro teams in your city you have to divide by four to get a accurate number. With two teams divide by two and with three you would divide by three. 

There are 58 cities or boroughs that own a sports franchise in the four professional sports. I will update you when I finish the math. 


No comments:

Post a Comment