Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Why Don't People Do More of This?

 Over the last number of years, I’ve developed a dream and a desire to change the world. When you live alone with no kids or girlfriend to spoil, it is a lot easier to live within the means of what I can afford.

I’ll preface this by saying, I’m not trying to sugarcoat my life in any way because who and where I am in my life now is sadly because I came from a good family. I want to be appreciative of that, but I also think about what an accomplishment it would be if I was given no guidance and managed to become a successful person.

That is what I want VM Help to be about. I want to create an organization that helps people with disadvantages and barriers to get where they want to be.

We live in a world where people that that have challenges not only face challenges in finding work but also in every day life. We need a system in play that can help anyone with anything they are trying to achieve.

I graduated high school in British Columbia, Canada in 2011. From ’12-’15, I was in University. Then from ’15-’17, I spent large parts of the time unemployed. When you’re unemployed you have to make sacrifices and view it as an opportunity to reflect on where you want to live.

People say things like “don’t move when your unemployed”, but for me at the time, moving away to a new city would have brought a new perspective leading to one of two things that could have happened:

1.   I might have found things really hard and might have came back within a year.

2.   I would have grown as a person overcoming obstacles and would have gained boatloads of self esteem.

What happened?

Well I stayed in the Vancouver area, eventually got more hours at work and kept on taking my parents advice until I started to try and branch out. That’s when I landed by fluke in Maple Ridge!

My point is, I don’t think there should be a rule book on how to live your life. We just need to be as loving and as caring as possible.

From a financial point of view, if you have $45,000 and are unemployed, moving away is not as risky. Maybe you move away and set up your life again and you spend maybe $7,000 to do so. As long as the fresh start is what you needed, whatever amount you spent will slingshot you much further.

Money is temporary but our happiness will be what drives to leave a lasting legacy in this world. Not every path works for everyone.

Find your path and don’t let people judge you.

Gregory von Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment