Saturday, May 16, 2020

1994 Vancouver Canucks - Post Draft

The one good thing about reliving the NHL in the 1990's is that you can make the playoffs and get a Top 15 pick. This is what happened to me in 1994. An underachieving year landed me the 13th pick in the 1994 NHL Entry Draft.

And let me be honest with you. The 1994 draft was stacked!!! There were a number of talented players on the board when I picked 13th last night.

I decided to go with Ryan Smyth from the Moose Jaw Warriors. I know I am super deep at Forward but Smyth is a rare talent like that  falls down in the draft

This wasn't at all bad drafting by the teams ahead of me either. I missed out on a good player in the second round by trading away my second in the Adam Foote deal.

In real life, Smyth was drafted 6th overall so falling down to 13 isn't a big fall in the big picture. Going forward, I am concerned about my talent on defense moving forward. However, drafting a Defense-man wasn't going to improve my team for the upcoming year.

Other notable draft picks were Bryce Salvador, Wade Belak and Wayne Primeau and Cristobal Huet.

My goals in the offseason are to improve on Defense and try to determine if my franchise player is Peter Neded, Trevor Linden or Pavel Bure. I don't think I'll have enough money to keep all three in their prime.

That being said, it all comes down to if my owner wants to increase my budget for next year.

Last goal will be to upgrade in net. Paying McLean 745,000 for a 3.16 GAA is expensive and something I might need to upgrade on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment